Utah County 4-H
A. Understand the following areas of study in robotics. Be prepared to explain each in your own words.
- human-robot interface (How humans interact with robots. Examples of this are voice recognition, touch systems and bone conduction in medical applications, throat microphones, remote control)
- mobility (How a robot gets around. Examples are: wheels, tracks and others)
- manipulation (Tools the robot uses to accomplish a task. Examples are drill, claw, tactile hand with fingers, medical prosthesis, etc)
- programming (How you talk to a machine. Instructions that tell the robot what to do based on the interpreted data. Examples are “If-Then” Statements, loops, variables, functions, repeats)
- sensors (How a robot determines where it is and what is happening. Examples: camera, compass, thermal detection, proximity detection, microphones, touch sensors.B. Identify one specific robot or kind of robot that you find most interesting. In one paragraph answer the following questions for robot.
- What does this robot do?
- How do humans interface or communicate with this robot?
- Describe the tools this robot uses to do its job.
- If the robot is mobile, how does it get around?
- What kinds of sensors does this robot use?
C. Name three careers in robotics. Choose one that most interests you. In one paragraph, answer the following questions:
- What is most interesting to you about this career?
- Describe the education, training and experience this career requires.
Resources and Enrichment Activities:
Obtain the Robotics Merit Badge Book from your local Scout Office
“How to Build a Robot.” Razor Robotics, http://www.razorrobotics.com/building_robots.html“How to Make a Robot.” GoRobotics.net, http://www.gorobotics.net/articles/ how-to-make-a-robot-lesson-1
“Robotics Tutorials.” ElectronicsTeacher. com, http://www.electronicsteacher.com/robotics/robotics-tutorial/plain-robotics
Museum of Science Design Your Own Robot, www.mos.org/robot/robot.html
Robot Designer Game, www.quickflashgames.com/games/robot-designer/